Mittwoch, 26. August 2009

Hugs & Autobahn

I arrived in Düsseldorf yesterday morning. These days of transition at my mom's give me some down time. On Friday, I'll go aboard the exhibition ship MS Wissenschaft to work as a museum guide for some weeks.


Returning to Europe for me is getting back to

- Papa hugs. The first thing I got was a great big embrace. One of those you dissolve in, and you stay there and enjoy. My dad gives the best hugs ever!

- German colloquialisms

- hearing the cistern (rainwater reservoir) at my mom's place, each time someone flushes the toilet

- mixing up Y and Z, ß and ? on the German keyboard

- sleeping in my very own bed, in a room all by myself

- my mom and my stister teasing me about my weird German

- Autobahn

- tax declaration 2008...

- cold suppers

- my own guitar. Thanks to all you guys who had lent me yours.

- efficient and affordable public transportation. Just not exactlz in Borlinghausen!

- my mom's cosy home: so much wood and light and space

- ordering "Wasser ohne Kohlensäure" (water without gas) instead of "water with no ice, no straw, no lemon, please"

- 220 V

- election campaigns: Who's the next Bundeskanzlerin?

3 Kommentare:

  1. welcome home maria! we miss you already. :(

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I didnt know you play guitar :)
    what is the plan now?

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hej Olenka (my-fresia)!
    Hur mar du?

    The 'plan' is written in German, sorry. "Sommerfahrplan" means "summer schedule".

    I'll be working on an exhibition ship, from Berlin (August 28) to Hannover (September 21).
    One week in October, we're going on a family vacation in the Netherlands.

    Other than that, I'm going to move back to Bamberg, Bavaria. In order to obtain the German degree 'Diplom', I'm going to write a thesis this winter/spring, and I plan to complete my six final exams in August 2010. I'll be teaching German as a foreign language, in the meantime. The small university town is a good place for that.

    Looks like I'm stuck in Europe for a whole year. You know, I can't stay put. So, I hope to get some shorter trips, visit some not so far friends. Student mobility...

    AntwortenLöschen