I'm in Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island.
My plane landed on Sunday at noon, and by three p.m. I found myself at the beach. People are great, the weather is fine. Amazing colours!
For the next four weeks, I work and stay at the HI Charlottetown Backpackers Inn. Levi, a traveling Canadian from Toronto, started this hostel in 2007.
The staff are all volunteers, all internationals. Everyone works four-hour shifts, six times a week - and in the meantime we explore the Gentle Island.
Guests are from all over the place: Scotland, Australia, France, Dominican Republic, Danmark... They are mainly hikers, bikers, and other individual travelers.
I saw your "Maria loves the Island" status on Facebook, and as someone who once lived a year in Maritime Canada, I was almost sure I knew what you were referring to! And I was right :) And the funny thing is, I'm actually coming to my "Maritime home" on Cape Breton in a week! I've been taking a six-week course in the Syriac language at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, and will fly to Canada next Thursday. So, if you have time to make some roadtrips, I'd love to see you there! I will be helping out at L'Arche Cape Breton for 2,5 weeks.
AntwortenLöschenWishing you a great time on the Island!
Love,
Siiri
Siiri!!! That's amazing!
AntwortenLöschenSiiri is Finnish and spent a year in Italy with me in 2001/02.
Last year, we finally met again while I was living in Tampere, Finland. The strangest thing: By then we had four languages in common (excluding my broken Finnish) and weren't really aware of when and how we were code-switching. So cool!
Tack sa mycket for kommentar på engelska och latin på din blog. Jag hade ingen aning att det finns sambanden mellan Jesus, en touchdown, Irland och Notre Dame. - För mig, de fanns allihopa i olika 'platser'.
Tyvärr min finska har forsvunnit. Jag kommer ihåg ingenting utanfor månaden, nummerna och enkla satser liksom "Mita kuulu?" eller "Kiitos kahvista". Minnen ar een underbar del av hjärnan, men soms ar den trakig.
Che bello!!! Meraviglioso. Quindi mene vado in Nova Scotia quando non lavoro. Sei benvenuta a Charlottetown, Siiri! Sono felicissima di rivederti in CANADA. Ci sentiamo presto.
Ich hoffe, deine E-Mail-Adresse ist noch die gleiche. Das genaue Wann und Wo koennen wir dann aushandeln.
Moi moi, un abbraccio, cheers, hejda, bis bald!